[OpenSIPS-Devel] Hang due to "no more nonces can be generated"

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu Dec 4 13:24:57 CET 2008

Hi Alistair,

This is related to authentication. OpenSIPS is keeping state for all the
nonces it generates in order to avoid nonce re-usage.  The error you get
means that all the available slots for generating nonces are used (by
default are 100 000 of them), but no nonce was replied (getting a response).

Do you have such a large traffic that you may have more than 100 000
authentication requests at a time (without getting the responses yet) ?

You may try to reduce the nonce lifetime and make the un-answered ones
to be released faster . see nonce_expire param:
    http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.4.x/auth.html#id2526655

- try setting this to 30 seconds .

I'm trying to figure out if in your case it is a simple problem of load
or it is a bug in the nonce reservation mechanism.